Figure 3: main menu, showing rule panel, option list, and line panel.
The Main Menu Figure 3 generally offers the following selection, whose details vary slightly from one automaton to another:
- r - edit the general rule
- l - edit the line
- g - graph the evolution
- x - generate a random rule
- y - generate a random line
- u - generate a sparse line
- T - edit a totalistic rule
- S - edit a semitotalistic totalistic rule
- # - execute stored rule number nn
- @nn - execute totalistic rule number nn
- $ - execute 12 totalistic rules starting with number nn
- wnn - execute Wolfram rule number nn ( only)
- t - enter probabilistic submenu
- d - enter de Bruijn submenu
- q - quit
Most of the options lead into further submenus; some of which still deal with information visible within the main menu, such as r, which edits the rule, or l, which edits the line. Others invoke full screen displays of their own, notably the option g, which displays the evolution of the automaton line by line. The interrelationship of the different full-screen displays is shown in Figure 1.
Each of these options is described in further detail below.
Harold V. McIntosh